Do you want to get an expert advice to select the best mountain bike computers?
Most cyclists ride through same routes and at an approximately same speed which in turn result to slow progress or no progress at all. When you get on a relatively flat terrain, you may require one of the best mountain bike computers that will help you improve your performance by giving you actual performance data.
They are easily affordable and installing them on your mountain bike wouldn't be a problem. Getting the best mountain bike computer can prove to be a challenge as many bike computers are available in the market today.
Some of them can be pocket-friendly and become useful in your training pursuits while others can be really frustrating due to short battery life and become complicated to use.
Basic mountain bike computers can be able to measure your average speed and the distance you have covered, enabling you to track your progress.
On the other hand, advanced computers have in-depth analysis including monitoring your heart rate tracking your location using GPS.
Acquiring one of these handy gadgets may help you a great deal not only in improving your performance but monitoring your heart rate for a period of time.
Why buy a Cycling Computer?
The concrete reason for purchasing a mountain bike computer is to record your rides. Many people use these gadgets for motivation purposes while others do it out of curiosity to know how fast they can ride a bike. For cyclists who are focused on upgrading their performance, this gadget may assist them in many ways beyond their imagination.
Getting the best mountain bike computer is the first step to unraveling this uphill task. Advanced computers are equipped with the latest technology that helps them to track locations using GPS, monitor your heart rate while cycling while others are Bluetooth enabled and allow communication with smartphones using Garmin Connect Application.
Serious and dedicated cyclist prefers a high-quality device equipped with the following properties:
- A device with long battery life;
- One that is able to function in all weather patterns;
- Be small in size and compact unlike smartphones;
- Have small screen size to reduce the risk of getting damaged;
What Features Suits you Best?
Getting the best cycling computer depends on the properties a particular device has. It also depends on how you are intending to use the cycling computer for. Some of these features include:
Distance - this is a primary measurement on how far you have covered riding. It gives you the total distance covered from the time you started cycling.
Average speed - is a basic measurement of speed and does not take into consideration stopping at junctions and negotiating steep bends.
Maximum speed - the fastest speed you have traveled in relation to your current speed of travel. It is usually used for comparison purposes with the current speed.
Current speed - It denotes how fast you are moving. Casual cyclists are interested with this kind of speed.
Trip distance - normally used when you are planning to stop at some point while riding.
Cadence - this feature is only found in advanced bike computers. It is a useful tool for serious trainers.
Clock - Most cycling computers have built-in clocks which are useful for riders to note at what time they will start or end their training.
GPS - This feature is only available in advanced high-end bike computers. It assists the cyclist to know his/her exact location, the route covered and how fast you are traveling.
Heart rate - it records your heart beat during the ride and helps in calorie calculations. It is also found in advanced options of bike computers.
Calorie consumption - this particular feature is not that accurate but the energy expended while cycling.
Types of Best Mountain Bike Computers Products Reviews:
1. Raniaco's Original Multi-function Wireless Bicycle Computer
It is one of the best mountain bike computer, very reliable and of high quality. It is a wireless bike computer with an LCD display which is easy to read. It has enough brightness for the rider to read during daylight.
The words are large enough and the cyclist can make a quick glance while riding. At night it even gets better with the back light feature with two color choices, white and green.
- Waterproof design makes it durable and very convenient;
- Recommended for all types of bicycles be it mountain biking, road cycling or common bicycle;
- Cutting edge wireless device with a good LCD display;
- Built-in steel ball switches capable of vibrating and wakes it from sleep mode;
- Has no GPS for track locations;
- Lacks heart rate monitor for measuring the heart beat of the cyclist;
2. Planet Bike Protege 9.0 9-Function Bike Computer with 4-Line Display and Temperature
The Planet Protege biking computer gives you important information you need to know while training. It is small enough to fit in your bike's handlebar. Its 4-Line LCD screen displays large and clear numbers that can be easily read when riding.
The computer starts recording automatically as you begin to ride and stops immediately when you stop.
- Made out of high-quality materials;
- Capable of measuring ride speed, current time, trip distance and average speed;
- 4-Line LCD display capable of showing 5 different parameters at a time;
- 9-function gadget able to measure 9 different parameters;
- Lacks heart rate measuring capability;
3. CatEye Velo 7 Bicycle Computer CC-VL520 Wired
CatEye Velo 7 bicycle computer is an excellent choice for a rider who wants high-quality bike computer at an affordable price.
One of its main advantages is its simplicity. Unlike other cycling computers, CatEye Velo 7 is easy to install and only will take about ten minutes and you are ready to go.
- Has a user-friendly operational button that is capable of auto start and stops.;
- Provides current, maximum and average speed and total distance covered;
- Provides free installation of head unit and sensor;
- Has a built-in clock and is able of showing pace arrow and elapsed time;
- The battery drains faster when having multiple rides and once you venture into the GPS function;
Some of the best mountain bike computers listed above possess exceptional qualities. The parameters that are inclusive in the bike computer aid the trainer in knowing various components that can be recorded while cycling for better training analysis.
For a casual rider or a professional cyclist, a bike computer is a fundamental tool that helps you to gauge your performance with its unending list of parameters.
The cycling computer can help you in managing your time, knowing what time to start and end your training sessions. It is very affordable and has so much impact that exceeds beyond its purchasing prize which can go a long way in helping you train. Ultimately, it falls on the list of things to acquire.